Thursday, September 4, 2008

It's Potty Time!

While in Charleston, I visited Babies R Us to buy Wade his very own potty.

I know it's a little early, but I figured why not go ahead and start introducing him to it. I first showed it to him on Monday and he immediately sat down. I got him up and removed his pants and diaper. He wanted me to sit on my potty opposite him so I did. We sat there and talked about different things. He would get up and I would ask him to sit back down so he could TT in the potty like a big boy. When I would say I was going to have to put his diaper back on, he would say no and sit down. I was wishing I had brought a book in with me to keep his attention so he would sit longer. I looked around and grabbed the only thing I could find, John's Hot Rod magazine. I started pointing out the cars and suddenly noticed he was not only TTing in the potty, he was stinkying too!!!!!! I couldn't believe it...success on the first attempt! I tried not to scream out b/c I knew it would freak him out. I asked if he was all finished and he said uh huh(meaning yes) so I cleaned him up and put his pants and diaper back on. We emptied the contents of his potty into mine. He flushed the potty, which he loves to do, and we waved bye bye to his stinky and TT. Wade and I danced around the room while singing the "TT in the Potty" song from Look Who's Talking. We gave each other high fives and bumps while I told him how proud I was of him and what a big boy he was. He could definitely tell he had done something to please his mama. I rewarded him with some juice treats and we immediately called Daddy.

Since then, I've lost track of how many times Wade has successfully TTed in the potty. He has been doing so well with it. He won't tell me when he has to go yet. I ask him every 1-2 hours if he needs to go TT in the potty. He'll run in there and won't always go, but at least he understands the concept. I'm not in a huge rush to get him trained b/c his daycare doesn't start teaching him until he moves up to the 2 yr old room. Hopefully when he does move up it will be a smooth transition for us all.

I am so proud of our Big Boy!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Wendy, that is great that he is picking it up so quickly!!! I wish you all the luck with it!

Amy said...

btw love the new background ;)

Danna said...

He is such a smart boy!!! Does he have more age appropriate reading material next to his potty now? LOL!

Bree said...

Congrats!! What a big accomplishment! Your baby is growing up.